February 9, 2012
Filed under Europe, Italy
Tags: avalanches, big freeze, Bosnia, brrr, climate, climate change, cold, cold 2012, cold deaths, cold record, cold snap, cold temperatures, cold winter, Croatia, deep freeze, Europe, Europe freeze 2012, Europe's deep freeze, freeze, freezing, freezing winter, Friesland, frostbite, froze, frozen, global cooling, Global Freeze, global freezing, global warming, Heathrow Airport, Hypothermia, ice, ice skating, icy, intense snowfall, Italy, record cold, Rome, Serbia, severe cold snap, snow, snowfall, sub-zero temperatures, temperature, temperatures, Ukraine, unusual cold, unusual snow, unusual snowfall, unusually cold, unusually heavy snow, Venice, weather, winter, winter 2012
February 7, 2012
The big freeze shows no sign of letting up in Europe as Venice’s famed waterways fell victim to sub zero temperatures this morning.
Water buses were stranded in some of the Italian city’s canals after they froze solid in temperatures as low as -10C.
January 30, 2012
Filed under Europe, finland
Tags: bitterest cold, brrr, climate, climate change, cold, cold January, cold record, deep freeze, finland, frigid, frost, global cooling, Global Freeze, global freezing, global warming, new cold record, record cold, severe cold, temperature, temperatures, weather, winter
January 30, 2012
The Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) predicts severe cold to continue until at least next weekend. Early Monday, a new cold record for this winter was set in Kuhmo, where the mercury plunged to -35.4 degrees Celsius.
It’s hard times for New Mexico’s most famous apple orchard – bad winter weather has almost completely destroyed this year’s crop at Dixon’s Apples, near Cochiti Lake.
Growers blame the terrible deep freeze cold snap of early February for strangling the crop before it even blossomed. Dixon’s has only about 5 percent of its usual crop this spring. Old Man Winter gobbled up the other 95 percent.
January 5, 2010
Filed under Asia, Europe, UK, USA
Tags: arctic air, arctic freeze, Asia, brrr, chilly, China, climate, climate change, cold, cold deaths, cold January, coldest January, deep freeze, Europe, extreme cold, freeze, freezing, freezing cold, global cooling, Global Freeze, global warming, heaviest snow, icy, killer freeze, record cold, record low temperatures, record snow, record snowfalls, russia, ski, snowdrifts, temperature, temperatures, unusally cold, unusual cold, USA, weather, winter
January 5, 2010
Arctic air and record snow falls gripped the northern hemisphere yesterday, inflicting hardship and havoc from China, across Russia to Western Europe and over the US plains.
There were few precedents for the global sweep of extreme cold and ice that killed dozens in India, paralysed life in Beijing and threatened the Florida orange crop. Chicagoans sheltered from a potentially killer freeze, Paris endured sunny Siberian cold, Italy dug itself out of snowdrifts and Poland counted at least 13 deaths in record low temperatures of about minus 25C (-13F).
January 17, 2009
When temperatures dip into the single-digits as they did Friday morning, people who work or live outside bear the brunt of it.
Workers for Huntsville Utilities, for example, were out in 9-degree weather early Friday, scrambling to fix power lines snapped by the deep freeze, temporarily leaving 2,000 people without power on the coldest morning here in five years.